CY Realty Group
Phone: 678.231.0557
info@cyrealtygroup.com

 
 
    Chastain Links
   . Chastain Park
   . Chastain Neighborhoods
   . Chastain Park Amenities
   . Classic Chastain Amphitheater
   . Famous Dining near Chastain Park

 
 

Chastain Park

The park is rich in local and regional significance. The Chastain Park Civic Association (CPCA) has been supporting and providing leadership for this neighborhoods and park for 30 years. They are the voice of Chastain Park, a vibrant community with wonderful amenities located within the two cities of Atlanta and Sandy Springs. CPCA is a non-profit organization comprised of a thousand plus members and a volunteer board of elected representatives that work collaboratively with local governments to address neighborhood issues that sustain and enhance the park and surrounding community. Currently the largest public park in Atlanta, Chastain Park consists of 268 acres and is encircled by many neighborhoods, all of which are part of the Civic Association.

Recognized as the largest park in the city of Atlanta, Chastain Park, originally named North Fulton Park, is also one of the most popular. Named after Troy Green Chastain, the former County Commissioner of North Fulton County, this community is what it is today because of Mr. Chastain's purpose and consistent determination to create this wonderful park. Today's Park remains true to Troy Chastain's vision and is a tribute to his foresight. Chastain is remembered as saying he was "imagining" what this park would look like. The park essentially was developed as Troy Chastain imagined.

The park entails approximately 268 acres and some of the features include the 18-hole North Fulton Golf Course and the 50-yard Olympic-size swimming pool, which offered the first pool filter system in the city. The majority of the enhancing stonework in the picnic area was assembled in the early 1940's. From the beginning, Mr. Chastain envisioned building in the Park an amphitheater. On June 20, 1944, Chastain Park Amphitheater commenced. A year later, the riding stables were constructed to accommodate the horses used for the polo fields. In the 1950's, these riding stables were converted into the Red Barn Restaurant which is recognized today as Horseradish Grill. This very popular contemporary southern dining establishment still reserves some of its old rustic flare with the original wood walls and enormous stone fireplace. In the early 1950's, the polo fields were converted into the ball fields (4 fields for softball and 7 fields for baseball) which remains today. In 1979, the tennis center was rebuilt after a fire destroyed the original structure. The current facility includes nine tennis courts, locker rooms, restrooms, and an office area.